One of my favorite meals at Red Lobster growing up was the crab alfredo…omgoodness, it was pure heaven! But even as a kid I knew this couldn’t be indulged in often as my stomach would be in knots after. I later came to understand that that was due to both a dairy AND a gluten intolerance. Joy.
The feeling of having to do without when you first transition to a better way of eating can seem daunting, until you realize how much flavor those “other” foods can actually have when paired just right! Enter, Cauli-fredo Sauce! Another adaptation from Amanda McClellan and this one is a snap to put together. Hope it wows your palate like it does ours!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (about 4 cups of florets)
- 7 cloves of roasted garlic (less if you prefer a less garlicky sauce)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk OR water, reserved from cooking the cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional; can leave out and use Nutritional Yeast in place of it; flavor with Nutritional Yeast to taste:
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a large pot and fill with water. Cook the cauliflower until tender.
Remove cauliflower from water and let cool slightly before blending.
Place cauliflower, roasted garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of reserved water or almond milk, and cheese (or Nutritional Yeast) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid if it is too thick for your liking.
Salt and pepper to taste. You may also want to add more cheese or substitute Nutritional Yeast at this point if you would like a more bold flavor.
Use the sauce right away or pour into a jar. You can refrigerate it and use it at a later time.
- Use over fresh zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- I love using this sauce over Birdseye Original Zucchini Lentil Pasta. You can find it in the freezer section of your local grocery store. It has a fabulous, real pasta like texture and makes you feel like you’re being so indulgent. (Choosing this option is only done as an evening meal because of the SDC – lentils.)
- Substituting the cheese for Nutritional Yeast makes this a great dairy-free option for those with an intolerance or sensitivity to dairy products.
To Roast Garlic:
Most women put their health on the back burner because we are so busy. My I’m Worth It!™ Fit Fam gets the resources to make it simple. Women in my Fit Fam create fit bodies, transform their hormones, and gain energy for their busy lives. Learn more HERE!