GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN PIE
I’m a tradition girl, which means when it comes to Thanksgiving, I love new and different additions, but there are staples I can’t be without. Pumpkin pie is one of them! But forgoing the bloat, fatigue, and post-meal crash is super important and absolutely do-able. Can you imagine Thanksgiving dinner without a 2 hour nap? It’s a thing! Because it’s not the turkey that makes you so sleepy, as we’ve all been told, it’s the sugar. Easy fix! I made some mild modifications to the original recipe by Able James. Get the original here.
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 T maple syrup
- 6 T organic unrefined coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup full fat organic coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 T Maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp SweetLeaf liquid stevia
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 can organic pumpkin
- Cream ONLY from the top of two refrigerated cans of full fat organic coconut milk (save the rest for a smoothie)
- 6 Medjool dates (pits removed)
- 4 T coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp SweatLeaf liquid stevia
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 425℉. Grease a pie pan with butter or coconut oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, almond flour, flaxseed meal, and salt.
- Add the melted coconut oil, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Mix until well combined.
- Press the dough into the greased pie pan, and freeze the pie shell while you make the filling.
- In a blender, blend the pumpkin puree, stevia, dates, milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt until the dates are broken up and well-incorporated.
- Add the egg and egg yolks and blend until combined. Taste (if you’re ok with a bit of raw egg), and add a bit more stevia, ginger, nutmeg, or salt, to taste.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell, and line the rim of the pie pan with foil to cover the crust edges (so they don’t burn). Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350℉. Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool 2 hours. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Want to get your Meal Plans for $6, have access to short, effective workouts, and have me show you what to do every step of the way? Click HERE